This blog reflects the professional and personal thoughts of Jane Garthson, and is intended to help people make wise choices for themselves and their organizations about how to serve, lead and operate. Jane welcomes your added thoughts, challenges and different perspectives; please comment on blogs that resonate with you.
Jane’s concepts are based on her lived experience, including:
- Over 25 years of providing leadership services to charities, associations and government agencies;
- Being Interim Executive Director of a charity and of a sports governing body;
- 4 years governing and regulating the Ontario horse racing industry, as a government appointee, including sitting on Tribunals and making rulings based on administrative law;
- 21 years of public service, in six ministries of the Ontario government, including senior management roles in Crown Agency Relations and Financial Management and Planning;
- Officer, chair and committee chair experience on a number of not-for-profit boards, including co-founding the Ethics Practitioners Association of Canada;
- Ongoing volunteer experience in a number of other roles and organizations, with the longest being direct service with young people with cognitive and physical challenges;
- 10 months of university training in Voluntary Sector Leadership, with an honours certificate;
- A lifetime of active learning from organizations such as Creating the Future, Canadian Society of Association Executives, Institute of Corporate Directors, Ontario Nonprofit Network, Centre for Social Innovation, Alliance for Nonprofit Management and many more;
- Growing up in a small town in a family with strong agricultural roots and continuing to spend time in rural Ontario about twice a week, as well as maintaining a pesticide-free edible garden in North York;
- Choosing to live in, and greatly enjoy, the most diverse city in the world;
- Being part of wonderful, mostly online, communities of people who want to change the world, consultants to nonprofits, music-lovers who create and make the fan music of fantasy and science fiction, as well as being avid readers of same;
- Being loved by and married to a kind, talented, intelligent, creative guy with an interesting sense of humour.